Trusted Legal Counsel In Family Law And Criminal Defense Matters Since 1984

Home → Family Law → Modification Of Child Support/Custody

Experienced With Post-Divorce Modification Issues

Families that have child support or child custody judgments that were established in the past will typically want changes in the future.  Any judgment can become unrealistic over time, career changes, new locations, new marriages or children, or major health changes.

It is normal to require a judgment modification at some point in time. Oftentimes the financial or geographical circumstances the judge originally determined are not relevant now, making it necessary to adjust the judgments accordingly.

Legal Aid In Adjustment Of Financial Status

At Howard L. Lotven, A Professional Corporation, we have handled cases involving:

  • One or both of the parents lose their jobs
  • A parent receives a pay decrease or increase
  • One of the parents remarries or divorces
  • One or both parties want to move to a new location

In complex scenarios like this, it is necessary to hire legal representation that can help adjust the child support to properly fit the changes.

When a parent is suddenly unemployed or suffers an involuntary reduction of income, that parent needs to prove the financial change to the court in order to have the child support judgment lowered. This can be difficult to achieve without proper representation as it entails very specific forms and documentation in order to be successful.

With our legal representation, we can help ensure that you are not paying more child support than what is necessary for the benefit of your child.

Dedicated Child Custody Counsel In Missouri

In child custody cases, the adjustments made to the original judgment are typically centered around the child’s living conditions. Over time, children may willingly or unwillingly be legally emancipated from their parents.

In the state of Missouri, children are automatically emancipated from their parents when they go to military school. If a child is emancipated from the custodial parent, a modification of the original custody judgment needs to be altered or removed, affecting both parents visitation rights.

Since situations tend to change over time, it is necessary to have a lawyer review your custody and support case every few years. This precautionary measure can prevent more expensive situations in the future and prevent losses of child support since you will be properly informed of your legal responsibilities according to the judgment.

Reach Out To Us Today

If you are seeking legal representation or need information about our services contact our office for a free consultation today. You can reach us by phone at 816-399-5639